StoryTellerShannon's Reviews > The Death of Superman

The Death of Superman by Dan Jurgens

Jun 15, 2012

bookshelves: my-very-best-reads, graphic-novels, action, fantasy-scifi, books-reviewed
Read from June 30 to July 01, 2012

Superman may have met his match as some indestructible being (simply named “Doomsday”) filled with hate marches to Metropolis and obviously creates a path of destruction in its wake. Other JLA superheroes try to stop it but even as a group they are no match. Then Superman joins one JLA group and after they are defeated he's the only one left standing.

See Lois Lane with red hair. Watch Superman give his all against an impossible foe. See other JLA member get “pwned” even if they're third tiered superheroes. See the regular people use missiles and other armaments against this impossible foe. At the end it looks like Superman bites it and I'm not giving anything away per the title of this piece.

The particular tale came out in 1992 and did incredibly well in sales. The follow ups to this graphic novel are: “Funeral for a Friend” and “Reign of Superman”.

ARTWORK PRESENTATION: B plus; ACTION SCENES: B plus to A minus; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: A minus; STORY/PLOTTING: B plus; WHEN READ: end of June 2012; OVERALL GRADE: B plus to A minus.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of Superman.

10/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark I have never cared much for the death of Superhero's and especially this one left me kind of cold as anybody with even a partial brain knew it for what it was, another big payday and then the live of Superman continues.

This books emotional oomph was lost in that realization.

Donovan Nice review, Shannon.

Donovan Kinda crazy how much some people hate this. I think outright hatred is perhaps unwarranted. But I'm anxious to read it now. I know it won't go into incredible depth but I'm curious about Doomsday and also if it explains the events unfolding in Return of Superman.

StoryTellerShannon It is definitely a must if you like to follow the History of Superman's creation by the storytellers.