Rebecca Crunden's Reviews > Release

Release by Patrick Ness

bookshelves: contemporary, lgbt-fiction, fantasy, romance

As I was reading this, my mind kept likening it to The Wicker King and The Monsters We Deserve, although neither of those is really similar. Maybe just along the same vibe? Release takes place over the course of the day and tells two stories: one is Adam's, a gay teenager in an Evangelical home with a family he doesn't feel loved by; the other is the story of a Queen and her faun. I quite liked both stories, for different reasons. I adored Adam and my heart ached for all he went through (and in the course of a freakin' day, poor lad!). I really enjoyed the Queen's tale, too, although I think more of a connection between the two stories would have been nice. Maybe just a bit longer, perhaps?

I really liked Angela, Adam's bestie, and Marty, his brother. Marty was definitely a complicated character with some frustrating moments, but by the end I really liked his character. I wanted a few more scenes with him and Adam, though!

All in all, a very good story and my first one by Patrick Ness. Can't wait to read more by him!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Release.

August 11, 2020 – Shelved
August 11, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
August 22, 2020 – Started Reading
August 22, 2020 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 22, 2020 – Shelved as: lgbt-fiction
page 48
16.72% "Really liking this so far. Adam is a sweetie. <3"
page 109
37.98% "holy, shit"
page 142
August 23, 2020 –
page 201
August 23, 2020 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 23, 2020 – Shelved as: romance
August 23, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Forrest But there is *some* connection between the two?

Rebecca Crunden SPOILERS (ish)

Kinda? I mean, the main guy talks about how there was a murder in the town and we're aware of the ghost connection between the girl who died and the Queen, and then they briefly interact on the last page. That's about it. I thought he'd end up interacting with the Queen a lot more, or she'd show up in his story, but the only real connection that I saw was how both are seeking a *release* from what holds them, but it's not like the stories impact each other, if that makes sense?

message 3: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Forrest It does! Sounds somewhat dissatisfying, but it does make sense.

Rebecca Crunden SPOILERS (again, ish)

The writing is lovely, and Adam's storyline about being gay in a small town with Evangelical parents and a boss who harasses him, and how he deals with both, are done to perfection. But at 20 pages to the end, I was like, what does the Queen have to do with Adam?! Haha. I'd recommend it still, but I think if they'd met and there was some REVEAL that Adam was magical or something, I would've been more satisfied. It was more just - Adam gets a glimpse, end scene.