Lex Kent's Reviews > Wrong Number, Right Woman

Wrong Number, Right Woman by Jae

bookshelves: 2020-favorites, f-f-ylva-romance, slow-burn, age-gap

4.50 Stars. It’s a Jae book, of course it is great. That really sums up everything right there. I don’t actually have to write any more in this review, right? This was the feel good, happy, and sweet romance of the summer. I go through different stages where sometimes I want a little angst, sometimes I want soap opera filled angst, but other times I just want to smile the whole time I am reading a book and this book filled that to a T.

This book takes place in Portland, where Jae has set some of her other books. In fact one of the mains, Eliza, actually works for Dee and Austen from Under a Falling Star. It was nice to visit with them a little and see that Dee is still the ice queen that I enjoy, but you don’t have to read that book first since the stories are not that connected.

This is a feel good, toaster oven, age-gap romance. While Denny gets teased for her age a lot, there is only 11 years difference, 41 to 30, so most of the time I did not even remember that there was an age gap unless the characters brought it up. Oh, I almost forgot that this is also a slow-burn romance. If you are looking for anything fast, than this is not the book for you.

I really liked that both characters had pretty normal jobs in retail. A lot of authors really depend on jobs to make their character’s interesting, which is fine, but I like that Jae was able to write about every day, real people and the story still completely worked. The characters were wonderful and it is why I think the book was so wonderful. I could even connect with Denny quite a bit. While she’s more butch than I am, I could see plenty of myself in her which is always nice while reading.

I had one tiny issue but it’s almost not worth mentioning. This is a book on the longer side for what is a standard WLW romance. Hey, it means people sure get their money’s worth so that not my problem. The problem for me was that at one point and only one point, I thought the pace slowed down a bit too much. I think I would have edited out a tiny bit. There is a lot of interaction that happens over text messages, which is the premise of how they meet so I get it it’s just that I wanted things to move past this point a little faster. Luckily, shortly after that the book did move on so it really was the shortest of complaints from me.

While this book is all about the characters, including the main’s friends and family, the heart of this book is the sweet as sugar, slow-burn romance. Everything from the chemistry to just the understanding and caring, everything about this couple is what every person hopes to find when they are dating. It was sweet and just lovely to watch these two women fall in love. When I say this book was the feel good romance of the summer, I’m not kidding.

If you could not tell by my review, I would easily recommend this book to all feel good romance fans. If angst is a must for you then this book might not be for you, otherwise get it since you won’t be disappointed. While I love all of Jae’s books, this book will go into the pile of her books that were really special to me like Just Physical, Heart Trouble, Just for Show, and Conflict of Interest.

An ARC was given to me for a honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrong Number, Right Woman.

August 8, 2020 – Started Reading
August 9, 2020 – Shelved
August 9, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-favorites
August 9, 2020 – Shelved as: f-f-ylva-romance
August 9, 2020 – Shelved as: slow-burn
August 9, 2020 – Shelved as: age-gap
August 9, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

AnnMaree Of Oz Sounds perfect!

message 2: by Lex (last edited Aug 09, 2020 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Annmaree wrote: "Sounds perfect!"
Annmaree it pretty much was. I hope you will read it:)

message 3: by Hsinju (new) - added it

Hsinju "It’s a Jae book, of course it is great." Yes, yes, yes.
Wonderful review, Lex! :)

message 4: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Hsinju wrote: ""It’s a Jae book, of course it is great." Yes, yes, yes.
Wonderful review, Lex! :)"

I can't wait to see what you think of it. I have a feeling it will put a big ole smile on your face too:) And thank you!

AnnMaree Of Oz It's on my list for sure, but trying not to buy anything until my currently bought pile gets read! We'll see how long that lasts lol

message 6: by Hsinju (new) - added it

Hsinju *aside* for some reason I haven't gotten hold of this one yet but will try to grab a copy and definitely read it next month! can't wait!

message 7: by XR (new) - rated it 4 stars

XR Choice review, Lex! I’m looking forward to reading this book even more now.

message 8: by Chwayita (new) - added it

Chwayita Damoyi Excellent review, Lex. Can't wait to get it and dig in

message 9: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Annmaree- I hear you on that! The longest I normally last is a few weeks though:)

Hsinju- This would be perfect to read after something tough, when you just need a feel good book:)

XR- I'm very hopeful that you will really enjoy this too. Such a sweet story:) And thank you!!

Chwayita- Thank you and I can't wait to see what you think:)

Kaila Fantastic review, Lex. So glad you enjoyed it. ’m so excited to get my hands on this.

Netgyrl (Laura) Sounds like it is worth the price of admission. Thanks for the excellent review, Lex!

message 12: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Kaila- Thank you very much! Hopefully this one will help to keep you out of that reading slump:)

Laura- It sure is. I think we all could use a sweet romance with everything going on. And thank you kindly:)

Aamina Your first line in the review really do sum it all up, Lex! It's one book I can't wait to get my greedy greedy hands on 😝 Fab review as always 👍🏽

message 14: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis Excellent review Lex. Sounds like Jae, unsurprisingly, wrote another possible Goldie winner.

message 15: by R (new) - rated it 5 stars

R Great review as always, Lex! Glad you enjoyed it as well. : )

message 16: by CLAR (last edited Aug 10, 2020 07:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

CLAR God, it's been 3 years since I read Under a Falling Star, which is a long time for my goldfish memory lol! How did you even manage to remember the MCs there?? You must have a bionic brain or something 😂

Anyway, awesome review! I'm excited to get my hands on this.

message 17: by MZ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MZ Yay another great Jae book! As you mentioned, automatic reading :-) Fantastic review.

message 18: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky It’s a Jae book, of course it is great. True words 👌☺️ Your review make me wanna drop everything I’m doing now and start reading it :)

message 19: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Aamina- Right?! I was sitting there thinking do I really need to write anymore of this review:) Thank you and I can't wait to see what you think of this one:)

Lexi- Exactly! And thank you:)

R- Thanks! This was a real treat to read:)

MZ- Sure is! I hope you love this too and thank you:)

Vicky- Thank you! I think you will really enjoy this one:)

message 20: by Katia (new)

Katia M. Davis You probably could have stopped after your first sentence and totally gotten away with it, lol.

message 21: by A.W. (new) - added it

A.W. Nice review! I can't wait to read this one.

message 22: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent CLAR wrote: "God, it's been 3 years since I read Under a Falling Star, which is a long time for my goldfish memory lol! How did you even manage to remember the MCs there?? You must have a bionic..."

No my memory is not that good either:) I read a short story follow-up with those characters in it. I think it was After Happily Ever After. It is such a good short collection. Plus I love a good ice queen like Dee was:) And thanks so much!

message 23: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Katia- That's what I was thinking:)

A.W. - Thank you and i hope you enjoy it as much as I did:)

message 24: by Bookishkr (new) - added it

Bookishkr Great review as usual. Added to my list! Thanks.

message 25: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Thanks so very much! Hope you love it:)

Patricia Salazar The book is already out? By the way, you review makes me want to read ir even more!

message 27: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Patricia wrote: "The book is already out? By the way, you review makes me want to read ir even more!"

It was a really good read so I hope you enjoy it too:) It comes out on the 19th on YLVA's website not sure what day for Amazon.

Patricia Salazar Thanks! Yeah, I just saw is out on the 19th. Can't wait! :)

message 29: by Somia (new) - added it

Somia Ace review Lex this sounds good

message 30: by JulesGP (new) - added it

JulesGP Great review, Lex.

message 31: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Somia- It is a perfect choice if you are in a mood for a sweet romance:) And thank you!

Jules- Thanks again:)

Betty Wonderful review Lex! I knew you would like this one. It is Jae after all.

message 33: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Betty wrote: "Wonderful review Lex! I knew you would like this one. It is Jae after all."

That sums it up right there:) I did love it. It was a book we could all use in these tough times and thanks so much!!

Karen I can't wait to read it. Great review.

message 35: by Skip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skip Great review Lex - somehow I've not actually managed to read any Jae - seems like this might be a good place to start.

message 36: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Karen- Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:)

Skip- Yes, especially if you want something feel good. I hope you get to give Jae a try, she really is one of the top authors in WLW fiction. And thanks so much!!

Jude in the Stars Great review as usual! I’m reading it right now and so far I agree with you on every point.

message 38: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Thanks so much! I'll keep an eye out for your review:)

Guerunche Great review as always, Lex! I've really been looking forward to this one! :-)

message 40: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Guerunche wrote: "Great review as always, Lex! I've really been looking forward to this one! :-)"
Thanks so much! I'm excited to hear what you think:)

Nadia It's not on Kindle yet! hopefully it will be there soon.

message 42: by Hsinju (new) - added it

Hsinju Nadia wrote: "It's not on Kindle yet! hopefully it will be there soon."

It will be available there on 2nd September!

message 43: by No (new) - added it

No Name Great review, Lex. Now I am thinking to get Under a falling star too.

Nadia Thank you Hsinju! I may not be able to wait that long, so I may just go ahead and purchase it where it's actually available lol

message 45: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent No- Thanks so much! Under a Falling Star is not one of my favorite Jae books, but its still a good read for sure and I love an ice queen character:)

Nadia- it is a long wait for Amazon:(

message 46: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie Good review. It sounds like it might be a bit too happy for me. I really like Jae, though, so I'll definitely give it a go sometime.

Heinerway I've just finished this book. Wow. Sooo sweet. I loved it! And I completely agree with your review. Great review btw.

message 48: by Lex (last edited Aug 31, 2020 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Kent Carrie- Thank you! It's perfect for when you need a sweet and feel good read:)

Heinerway- Thanks so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!