Mav's Reviews > Doppelganger

Doppelganger by Marie Brennan

Oct 08, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: good-strong-females-role-models, god-religion-afterlife, fantasy, speculative-fiction
Read in February, 2009

Remembering who's who and who belongs to what Path and Ray gave me some trouble in the beginning, as did the timeline of the story. That's not to say that the novel have massive flashbacks. The books alternates between Miryo and Mirage's pov (for a good reason).

There weren't any dates given at the top of each chapter so I just assumed that each chapter dealt with what the other person did while the events of the previous chapter were taking place.

Mirage travels a lot, and eventually, so does Miryo. After a certain point figuring out where Miryo and Mirage were in relation to each other's geography was a bit of a headache. I'd read a chapter with Mirage where she's in a new town or moving on. Next chapter features Miryo, who says her doppelganger is in such and such direction - which wouldn't make sense to me because I'd think Mirage was in the previous X place. I got through 3/4 of the books, when Miryo and Mirage finally met before it became clear to me: my assumption about the timeline was wrong. Then everything made a abit more sense.

Still, I loved how everything came together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doppelganger.