Cloud Riser's Reviews > Open Heart

Open Heart by Emlyn Chand

Jun 14, 2012

liked it
Read on June 14, 2012

I really enjoyed the first book of the series, so this one was kind of a disappointment to me. Most of this comes from the book having no underlying plotline. The book was essentially about Simmi, who I grew to like more in this book than I had the last. In it she struggles with insecurities dealing with her weight and her overall self worth in terms of her developing psychic powers. Oh, and a growing attraction to her boyfriends nemesis.

Chand is a great writer. She has a talent of getting into her characters heads and making them and their conflicts very real. My complaints were the following.

I think too much of the story revolved around the eating disorder. For a paranormal book, this topic was basically over kill for me. Most of my paranormal books I expect a deeper plot, or goal, to happen. There was a hint of one, for about two pages towards the end, and that was just disappointing. I would have liked to see more of that. This is basically the main reason I gave the book a three. It just really lacked in a strong solid plotline that wasn't revolving around the love triangle or the eating disorder.

The main character, while I liked her more in this book, still kind of annoyed me a bit. But characters tend to do that. She never broke her character, and while I didn't feel sympathy for the girl, I admire Chand's ability to make her real and keep her real. So I didn't take away points for that.

Overall, I think the series is good. I'll check out the next one to see if there's any more growing storyline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Heart.