Sarah's Reviews > Imperfect Women

Imperfect Women by Araminta Hall

Having enjoyed Araminta Hall’s last novel, Our Kind of Cruelty, and enjoyed it, I had high expectations of Imperfect Women. These expectations were raised when I heard via Twitter Elisabeth Moss has optioned the TV/film rights. In such circumstances raised hopes can often end up dashed when the actual novel doesn’t live up to its hype - but the opposite was true for me in this case: it’s my favourite of Araminta’s books so far.

The book is divided into thirds and we follow the story of three women, Eleanor, Mary and Nancy, who meet at university and remain friends for decades afterwards, so at the start of the novel they’ve known each other about 30 years. The book opens with a death so is a psychological thriller in terms of genre, but it is certainly a cut above most that are out there because it has a depth of character and breadth of theme that I find is sometimes lacking in genre fiction. It tackles big themes such as sexual politics and moral culpability and is narrated brilliantly by Helen Keeley. If, like me, you enjoy authors such as Lucy Atkins, Sarah Vaughan, Adele Parks and Lisa Jewell, this will tick all the right boxes. It’s the perfect staycation read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Women.

August 5, 2020 – Started Reading