Laura's Reviews > A Conspiracy of Kings

Jun 14, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Recommended for: 8th grade and up
Read from June 09 to 11, 2012

"The Thief" is the best of the series, but if you have an affinity towards the characters, you will want read the next books. None of them are as well written as the first, but the plots do keep you engaged. My biggest problem with Turner's writing is that she is too subtle - sometimes to the point of losing her readers. If this were James Joyce then I would blame my own ignorance, but this is not Joyce but young adult fiction, so the subtleties are either a product of poor editing or the author assuming that her audience can read her mind. For example, a line of dialogue will seem completely out of the blue and random. You will have to go back a few pages to figure out that it is a continuation of a previous conversation. Sometimes there isn't even a point of reference a few pages back and the reader is left guessing. Fortunately, the plot is not too complicated so you don't miss out on much, but I still don't like the feeling of missing anything at all especially with such a superficial story!

This third book focuses mostly on Sophos and his rise to the throne. It ends satisfyingly and can finish the series nicely, but I understand there are two more books coming.

I recommend this series to older Y/A readers because of mild swearing and references to infidelity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Kings.