Davis Falk's Reviews > The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space

The High Frontier by Gerard K. O'Neill

bookshelves: 2020-read-list

This is the most exciting and thought-provoking book I have read in some time. I heard recently that this book inspired Jeff Bezos's interest in space, which led him to form Blue Origin, with the aim of accomplishing exactly what The High Frontier envisions, millions of people living and working in space.

Bezos is the CEO and founder of Amazon.com. One of the Amazon TV series, The Expanse, also incorporates many of the concepts of this book, including mining of the asteroid belt, and people living and traveling in huge rotating cylinders which simulate gravity, as well as habitation of the minor planet Ceres.

This book is not science fiction. The technology needed to accomplish human habitation of space, including profitable manufacturing and energy production, existed when the book was first released in 1977.

The imperative of finding new living space for the growing population of Earth, as well as additional energy to keep up with the industrialization necessary to bring the third world a better standard of living, is still as real as it was in 1977, and in 1988 when the book was updated.

I highly recommend this. I could not put it down!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Frontier.

August 7, 2020 – Started Reading