Evelyn's Reviews > The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore

The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale

Jun 14, 2012

it was ok

This book was verbose and under normal circumstances might be intolerable for 580 pages of verbiage. Under the circumstances though, this being of a particular point of view and that, had a chimp really developed this level of language --- perhaps they would talk like a supercilious professor of English, it was tolerable. It honestly didn't bother me very much. I never felt the need to run for a dictionary, you acclimate quickly and the style of language was very consistent.

Plot wise, I'm honestly not sure what to say about this book. I didn't dislike it but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it. I read it within a week, so It wasn't a dreary novel I had to slowly force my way through. That said, I wasn't expecting the sexual elements of this story or to read them so vividly described. At one point I actually moaned and flung the book across the room to get it away from me.

I was, for a time, disgusted. Not by Bruno but Lydia and the entire conception of her. I found every action, every thought, every painful sentence concerning their relationship post-intimacy repulsive. When her storyline came to fruition I was actually without sympathy. She passed out of the story and I didn't miss her.

I was at a loss throughout the novel to see Bruno interacting with certain people the way he did or rather being reacted to? The thought of a teenage girl beside him on a couch deciding she wants to kiss him for example. Hairless or no, a chimp is quite visibly a chimp.

Blegh.

I did find it a little bit annoying also, that at certain moments of excitement, Bruno would speak along the lines of 'but I won't go into detail' and certain scenes were omitted, while at least 200 pages of superfluous detail were left.

So I don't know about this book. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It would certainly be interesting to read an entirely different work by the same author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore.

June 14, 2012 – Started Reading