Brook Bakay's Reviews > Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth

Batman by Grant Morrison

3951925
Jun 13, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Absolutely beautiful and haunting, it reminded me of why I love graphic novels. With a central theme of dreamlike madness, it can be difficult to follow what's going on at times, but that is surely intentional and really adds to the atmosphere. My advice is to press on and read it again. And again.

Grant Morrison provided a very different take on Batman, as a man in many ways insane himself and not wholly innocent of the crimes the inmates accuse him of. He is also very interestingly vulnerable in this book.

This is also the first example I'm aware of using different fonts and colours for different characters. It's tremendously effective, especially with the Joker's words. The font itself gives insight into the personality.

Finally, I have to mention the moody, dark, brilliant artwork of Dave McKean. If this book had no story at all I might have given it four stars for the artwork alone. If you've read The Sandman: Endless Nights, you know what an artist he is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.