Lori's Reviews > Hyperion

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Jun 13, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi

This is a great book. Simmons uses the structure of the Canterbury Tales to organize the stories of seven pilgrims on a unique colony world journey. His sentence style is beautiful and I really enjoyed the read. Even better are his insights into human nature. Looking forward to picking up the rest of the tale in book two.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperion.

June 13, 2012 – Shelved
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
December 23, 2012 – Started Reading
December 23, 2012 – Shelved as: sci-fi
December 23, 2012 –
page 100
December 25, 2012 –
page 200
41.49% "whew. this book is intense....beautiful...literary....gripping...horrifying."
January 16, 2013 –
page 346
71.78% "Continues to be excellent......"
February 2, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Jr. Ever read the Foundation trilogy, Lori? I've been looking for something on that level for easy but thoughtful reading on the side. I've not read much science fiction beyond a few more from Asimov (Canticle for Leibowitz, Battlefield Earth—all these I read years and years ago). Is Hyperion what I want?

Lori Hm. "easy" and scifi aren't often together but....Foundation series has some meaty content so there's lots you can explore.

A couple people to try.....
John Scalzi, Old Man's War--I like his style, which s so breezy you sometimes urgent just how good his stories are
Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game--great exploration of war and its ethics on a planetary scale
Anything by Urula LeGuin, like The Dispossed. Left Hand of Darkness. Lathe of Heaven. --her writing is just exquisite. Her books tend to explore anthropological issues.

Your better resource for this is Coart. He LOVES good sci fi.

Lori Oh and--I did enjoy Hyperion mostly for the writing quality. It has elements of horror, less of a book tackling an issue.