Linda's Reviews > Time Between Us

Jun 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc, read-in-2012, young-adult, fiction, bea-2012

Cross-posted to:

Despite the abilities of its male protagonist, this is a book that focuses much more on the budding love story of its two young leads rather than the mechanics of their meeting. For better or worse, I spent much of this book – particularly in the first half- being reminded over and over again of how similar it is to “Twilight” by Stephenie Meyer. Yes, that’s a title that’s uttered with a lot of baggage nowadays, but I really enjoyed reading the first book back in 2007, so this isn’t necessarily to be taken as an insult to “Time Between Us.”

There are a lot of similarities in the way the romance unfolds between Bennett and Anna, our couple here, and Edward and Bella from “Twilight.” (view spoiler) I even felt there were scenes that were written in direct opposition to some of the more controversial aspects of Edward and Bella’s relationship. For example,(view spoiler) Whether it was intentional or not, whether I’m just bringing too much of my own baggage to it or not, the ghosts of Twilight were there throughout much of the book.

But I digress. Reminding me of “Twilight” is, as I said, not necessarily a bad thing. Like Edward and Bella, there was something very sweet about Bennett and Anna and they complemented each other well as a couple. Where things got shifty for me were the thinly drawn and not altogether believable mythology behind Bennett’s time-traveling abilities. The hows and whys are barely touched upon, and a subplot (view spoiler) was rushed to an off-page conclusion. The obstacle that stands in the way of Bennett and Anna’s happy ending is, too, not very well articulated, but for the most part, I enjoyed reading Stone’s quiet and understated debut. Though there is nothing groundbreaking contained within these pages, it’s readable and engaging with a cast of likable characters, and should please YA fans who enjoy a story that’s heavy on the romance and light on the sci-fi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Between Us.

June 13, 2012 – Started Reading