Dawn's Reviews > Glitter and Glue

Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan

bookshelves: good-reads, memoir, non-fiction

In Glitter and Glue, Kelly Corrigan tells a poignant story of coming of age, and the mother-daughter struggle. Corrigan takes the reader back in time, when she was briefly a nanny for two Australian children, who lost their mother to cancer. As"Keely" learns to love and nurture this little girl and boy, who are grieving and lost, with their father, who has built up walls, Corrigan begins to reflect on her relationship with her own mother, who she has not had a close relationship with.

What pulled me in and under and down into my own injured places, and my own hopes and wishes, were Corrigan's countless beautiful observations. Her words are so eloquent and powerful. I highlighted so many lines and passages (see my Kindle notes), but I was too absorbed and swept me away by the words. Beautiful writing! Having spent an extended time in Australia at the same age, her story really resonated with me, on so many levels. I laughed, and I cried often, for the intersections in my own life. I think there are so many universal themes here, woven into a wonderful coming of age story––with leaving home, falling in love, loss, and self awareness that we all some day experience.

I believe mothers and daughters inevitably "struggle––" whether we are close, or distanced. Corrigan beautifully and honestly delves into the many ways we, as women who are mothers and daughters, don't alway "see" each other. We use filters of our own creations, often preventing mothers and daughters from valuing each other's strengths, insights, and challenges, until our mothers are gone. I loved this book for its beauty, vulnerability, humor and so many truths. Kelly Corrigan gets to the heart of so many things, in this lovely book, that was a moving escape from the crazy that was setting in, as we all went into isolation. What a time to dive deep!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glitter and Glue.

March, 2020 – Started Reading