Pamela's Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Oct 08, 2008

bookshelves: 2014, audiobook

"This is for you," he [the alchemist] said, holding one of the parts out [of gold] to the monk. "It is for your generosity to the pilgrims."

"But this payment goes well beyond my generosity," the monk responded.

"Don't say that again! Life might be listening and give you less the next time."

I listened to this as an audio book, and kind of wish I had read the hard copy. While wonderfully read by Jeremy Irons, I do wish I could reread some of the marvelous pearls of wisdom here. None of it is very new, but so many of us need reminding sometimes. The quote above actually struck me because it is kind of new: so many societies have a superstitious belief that if you mention your good fortune or good traits, the powers that be will swoop in and take them away. And women never seem to be proud of their accomplishments and/or traits. So here the alchemist tells us not to brag, but not to diminish what we do.

The other big lesson I got from this is very time-worn, but so true: the ultimate treasure is not what you seek but the journey you take to get there. Being able to learn as you go from each situation that you find yourself in is the finest, most enduring treasure that no one can steal from you.

Overall, a delightfully told parable with a nice twist at the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.

October 8, 2008 – Shelved