megs_bookrack's Reviews > Later

Later by Stephen King
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
48328025
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge, stephen-king-read

Stephen King's writing is like coming home for me. I absolutely adored Jamie Conklin's story.



Later is a coming-of-age tale with a supernatural twist, following a boy, Jamie, and his struggling single-mother, Tia.

Jamie first discovered his ability when he was really young. He can see things others can't and sometimes it's really scary.



But it is an unchangeable part of himself and he learns the rules of it, as well as how best to live with it.

His mother knows what he can do, but she doesn't like to talk about it. It scares her too. She urges Jamie to keep it a secret.



However, when she is backed against a wall, Tia asks Jamie to use his ability to help her. This event exposes Jamie's gift to Tia's police officer girlfriend, Liz.

After their relationship sours and the women call it quits, Liz continues to circle Jamie like a shark. She knows what he can do and eventually plans to use him for her own gain; legalities be damned!



Since this is Stephen King, it does go a lot darker than I am making out here, but it's a short story; one best discovered for yourself.

I loved Jamie so much. The narrative is like you are sitting down with him, having a cup of coffee, or a whiskey, and he is telling you his story. It's natural, heart-warming, occasionally frightening, funny and whip-smart.



I also really appreciated the depth of Jamie's relationship with his mother. It was beautifully explored in my opinion. King excels at complicated familial relationships and this is no exception.

He also is a master at writing from the perspective of children and young adults. Great character work overall, but I always love his kid characters.



I absolutely recommend this to anyone who loves a Horror-based coming-of-age story.

Chef's kiss for days!!!



Original:

Constant Readers,

This is not a drill.



I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!



We have new King!!

A boy with special powers stopping, what sounds like, supernatural crimes...

396 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Later.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

August 4, 2020 – Shelved
August 4, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2021 – Started Reading
March 27, 2021 –
page 103
39.02% "103-pages in the first sitting. Not too shabby!

"
March 28, 2021 –
page 210
79.55% "

That certainly was a dark twist. Ewww."
March 29, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge
March 29, 2021 – Shelved as: stephen-king-read
March 29, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny Baker I had no idea he had a new book releasing next year! Thank you!


megs_bookrack Jenny Baker wrote: "I had no idea he had a new book releasing next year! Thank you!" I just found out this morning and immediately commenced freaking out!




Jenny Baker I just preordered it!


megs_bookrack Jenny Baker wrote: "I just preordered it!" I did too! :)


message 5: by TMR (new) - added it

TMR Woohoo!


megs_bookrack TMR wrote: "Woohoo!" Let the countdown begin!!


message 7: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber just added it to my TBR for the ebooks library.


megs_bookrack Amber wrote: "just added it to my TBR for the ebooks library." Yayee!! Definitely one to look forward to -- I hope you love it, Amber!


Darren Wonder if this will be directly tied in with 'The Institute' storyline...another child with abilities...

His own take on the whole mcu/dceu cinematic domination!


megs_bookrack Darren wrote: "Wonder if this will be directly tied in with 'The Institute' storyline...another child with abilities...

His own take on the whole mcu/dceu cinematic domination!"
Yeah, I'm not sure, Darren. It's definitely a topic he loves to explore. I would love for Charlie McGee to pop-up again, like a Fairy Godmother for all children with special abilities! :)


message 11: by Just Jô (new) - added it

Just Jô OMG OMG 😲 😱


megs_bookrack Just Jô wrote: "OMG OMG 😲 😱" Less than a week now! The countdown is officially on! :)


message 13: by Mahesh (new) - added it

Mahesh Waran Yeah! I too waiting for this! But I need Billy Summers to release first!


message 14: by Just Jô (new) - added it

Just Jô I'm in Joyland! And YES!!! pun intended 😏


megs_bookrack Mahesh wrote: "Yeah! I too waiting for this! But I need Billy Summers to release first!" I can't wait for Billy Summers. It's going to be epic!


megs_bookrack Just Jô wrote: "I'm in Joyland! And YES!!! pun intended 😏"
Hahaaaa, very punny! :)
I do love a good pun.


Tyler Vaughan Just got an email saying that my copy is coming TOMORROW! Wtf?!?! A week early!😄


megs_bookrack Tyler wrote: "Just got an email saying that my copy is coming TOMORROW! Wtf?!?! A week early!😄" AHHHHHHHHHHHH, that is so exciting, Tyler!! I'm jealous!! I hope you love it :)


Brice Spencer I love Stephen King and his Hard Case novels (Joyland is my fave so far and am just starting Later now) but what I would really love to see is some of those George Stark novels we got to see bits and pieces of in The Dark Half. I feel like those would be a perfect fit!


megs_bookrack Brice wrote: "I love Stephen King and his Hard Case novels (Joyland is my fave so far and am just starting Later now) but what I would really love to see is some of those George Stark novels we got to see bits a..."OMG, Brice! That's an incredible idea! That would be really great to see those come to their conclusions.


Nicole Leigh Reads Meg have you read it yet?! I am dying to get my hands on it now that it has been released 😁😁


megs_bookrack Nicole Leigh Reads wrote: "Meg have you read it yet?! I am dying to get my hands on it now that it has been released 😁😁" I haven't!! I ordered an edition from Cemetery Dance Publications and haven't received it yet. As soon as I get my hands on it though, it's happening!


Nicole Leigh Reads Yay!! Exciting!!!


megs_bookrack Nicole Leigh Reads wrote: "Yay!! Exciting!!!" Can't wait!!


Chelsea I'm reading it now and it's just.. wow. Everything you'd expect from King writing a detective novel and then some. Can't wait to hear what you think Megs.


megs_bookrack Chelsea wrote: "I'm reading it now and it's just.. wow. Everything you'd expect from King writing a detective novel and then some. Can't wait to hear what you think Megs." Oh, yayee! It sounds like you're really enjoying it, Chelsea! This makes me even more excited. I need it to be delivered ASAP, or I'm just going to buy another copy -- hahaha


message 27: by M (new) - rated it 1 star

M I hated it 😞 gave it one star 💔💔💔


message 28: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha Woodral can't wait to read it , a big Stephen king fan love all of his books!


megs_bookrack Latasha wrote: "can't wait to read it , a big Stephen king fan love all of his books!" Me too, Latasha! I still need my copy to arrive!!! I hope you love it when you get to it!


megs_bookrack M wrote: "I hated it 😞 gave it one star 💔💔💔"Sorry to hear that, M. On to the next!


message 31: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha Woodral I got mine on my kindle just started reading it


megs_bookrack Latasha wrote: "I got mine on my kindle just started reading it" Nice!! Enjoy~


Barbara Lemon This book is clever and King gets 5 stars for the truly horrifying scenes. I took one star away because I thought the ending was rather abrupt. I enjoyed this immensely though and recommend it highly.


megs_bookrack Barbara Lemon wrote: "This book is clever and King gets 5 stars for the truly horrifying scenes. I took one star away because I thought the ending was rather abrupt. I enjoyed this immensely though and recommend it highly."Yayee!! I am glad to hear you enjoyed it, Barbara. I should be starting it really soon 🖤


message 35: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I just read this entire book in one day. Kept me engaged as I know SK consistently can. Four+ solid stars.


megs_bookrack Sue wrote: "I just read this entire book in one day. Kept me engaged as I know SK consistently can. Four+ solid stars." Yayeee! I'm so happy to hear this, Sue. I ordered a special edition and it still hasn't arrived, but I am expecting it any day! So excited!!


Debbie I did not think this book was good or suspenseful. Just didn’t make the cut for me. I gave it two star, and I usually enjoy SK’s writing.


megs_bookrack Debbie wrote: "I did not think this book was good or suspenseful. Just didn’t make the cut for me. I gave it two star, and I usually enjoy SK’s writing."I am sorry to hear it didn't work for you, Debbie! On to the next!


message 39: by Keith (new) - added it

Keith Dooley Great review and perfect description of reading King’s books. I feel the exact same way. Anytime I start one of his books, it’s like talking to an old friend and there’s a sense of comfort (even though I fully know something terrifying and suspenseful is coming later).


megs_bookrack Keith wrote: "Great review and perfect description of reading King’s books. I feel the exact same way. Anytime I start one of his books, it’s like talking to an old friend and there’s a sense of comfort (even th..."
Thank you, Keith. That is exactly how I feel. There is nothing better than settling in with a King book. I always get so excited for the first few pages, so nostalgic.


Brandon Brown SO. SOO. GOOD! I have explored a ton of Kings work quite yet. Picked this up on a whim. The only thing I’d change... is to have read this in one sitting! It was hard to put down! -stupid work. and sleep. and kids. - HIGHLY RECOMMEND


Brandon Brown *haven’t explored*


megs_bookrack Brandon wrote: "SO. SOO. GOOD! I have explored a ton of Kings work quite yet. Picked this up on a whim. The only thing I’d change... is to have read this in one sitting! It was hard to put down! -stupid work. and ..." I made myself stretch it over two days! :)
If you like the tone, feeling and quick nature of this one, you should definitely pick up Joyland, if you haven't already.


megs_bookrack Brandon wrote: "*haven’t explored*" I knew what you meant :)


message 45: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Finding a new Stephen King book at the library is like winning the lottery. This book was definitely a mega-million winner!


megs_bookrack Laura wrote: "Finding a new Stephen King book at the library is like winning the lottery. This book was definitely a mega-million winner!"
Hahaha, I love your enthusiasm, Laura and couldn't agree more!!!


back to top