Lyn's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

After finishing The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, the last of the Millennium Trilogy by the late Stieg Larsson, I have a great desire to order a tray of sandwiches and coffee, fire up my 13 inch MacBook Pro, and order some Ikea furniture online.

Larsson’s crisp, journalistic, almost report-like prose is endearing rather than tedious and just as after finishing the first two, I greatly lament his passing for the selfish reason of not being able to look forward to more of his work.

This summed up the trilogy brilliantly, wrapped it all up. Larsson has created some characters that will live in world literature for some time. One aspect of this fiction that I can compare to our system in a positive light is that our statutory rules for involuntary committals require the testimony of two independent medical doctors. I was cringing throughout the final courtroom scenes as Swedish civil procedure is clearly very different from our rules, I kept waiting for an objection that never came. Still the cross examination of Teleborian by Jiannini was outstanding drama of the highest order.

Some of the descriptions of the trial are stunning. This was so much more than a spy thriller, or a murder mystery or even a legal drama, this was a fascinating character study, psychological thriller and all the other genre specific labels rolled into one.

Great book, great end to a very enjoyable series.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

June 13, 2012 – Started Reading
June 13, 2012 – Shelved
June 29, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Great review Lyn. Love this book :-)?

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Melissa, it was a great series

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I haven't read the third one yet. I have the movie trilogy. I watched it in Swedish and English. I just love it. Naomi Rapace is amazing as Lisbeth. I need to read the third one before the new one comes out. It's over in my stacks. I wished he was still around. I'm sure he would have wrote many more great books!

message 4: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I miss him too, great talent

Tiffany Anne Gah! The cross examination was sooooo satisfying! I was on the edge of my seat. I think this book was a perfect ending & I'm really apprehensive about this new book coming out with Lisbeth.

message 6: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks, Tiffany, I'll still probably check it out sometime

Bill Khaemba Love the whole trilogy :) Amazing review Lyn :)

message 8: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Bill, terrible tragedy about him, he could have written so much more

♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN Great review! This is my fav series ever.

message 10: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks! One of mine too. I'm reading a lot of Nordic Noir and I'm enjoying them all

Negin Lyn, I love Nordic Noir and really loved Stieg's books. I wish that he hadn't died so early (selfish reasons). I smiled at your first paragraph of wanting to order some Ikea furniture. :)

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Khaemba Bill wrote: "Love the whole trilogy :) Amazing review Lyn :)"

I know :'( He was essentially suppose to write 10 books, It breaks my heart but I will always love the books

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager I luv Lisabeth!

message 14: by Eric (new)

Eric Smith great review...i dug his work rumor has it he never made over 30k a year then he dies and his work is worth a ton. That seems so dern sad!

message 15: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Eric, yes, I would have liked to read more from him

message 16: by Saul (last edited Jul 14, 2017 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saul Escalona A very senseful comment, Lyn. It does justice to Stieg Larsson's trilogy.

message 17: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Saul

message 18: by Harry (new) - rated it 1 star

Harry You summed it up - I felt the same about coffee and sandwiches (and Pizza).
I think every parent should get their kids to read this - a lot of weak men and a lot of strong women.

message 19: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Harry

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I liked the first two books, somehow never finished the trilogy. I think partly because I heard Lisbeth is MIA for the first half. I should circle back around and finish.