Goldie's Reviews > Jump

Jump by Elisa Carbone

Jun 13, 2012

I have had Jump for a couple of months now and wasn't too sure I would enjoy it as I know nothing about climbing. Having read the book I feel like I know a little more about climbing, but my lack of knowledge didn't take away from the book's story. First, I liked the format of giving the two main characters P.K. and Critter the journal like entries to share their POV's. Critter's mental illness could have made him an unsympathetic protagonist. But my experience as a teacher and life in general has shown me that often those characterized as mentally ill aren't as "crazy" as the norm would suggest. I enjoyed the author's use of climbing as a metaphor when it came to the true antagonists that the characters face. Elisa Carbone has done a good job of developing compelling, sympathetic characters, conveying action, and of showing how quickly a situation can get beyond your control. I recommend this book.

The only thing I didn't like and the author probably had no control of is the cover. I still like it when a cover matches the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jump.