Lexie's Reviews > The Demon Catchers of Milan

The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer

Jun 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-once-owned

This was different from what I expected. Part of it I think is because most YA Paranormal I read tends to have romance as well and usually as a strong part of the storyline. This didn't. This was definitely more interested in exploring Mia's new surroundings, her family and the world she was now thrust in as a Demon Catcher.

I felt most enthralled in this book when Mia would go into lengthy descriptions or discussions about Milan and the history therein. Beyer's attention to detail whether discussing the everyday mannerisms of the Della Torre family or the horrors that Italian Jews faced during World War II had the same dedicated feeling. Beyer obviously felt deeply for her subject matter and that shines throughout her writing.

Of less interest to me was the actual demon hunting. When I hear 'demon hunting' I immediately think of either Buffy or the Winchester brothers--butt kicking heroes who attacked the vicious citizens of the Underworld with sword, fire and crossbow. I did not think bells. Or candles. The demon hunting part was anti-climatic and not quite as tense as I think Beyer wanted. Interesting at first, but anti-climatic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Catchers of Milan.

June 13, 2012 – Started Reading