Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Bookshop Dog

The Bookshop Dog by Cynthia Rylant

Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: books-about-books, childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed, dogs
Recommended for: everybody who likes dogs &/or bookshops &/or love stories &/or supportive communities
Read on July 07, 2012

Ah, this one simultaneously made my heart sing and nearly brought me to tears with emotion.

This is a very sweet story, and as a dog lover and bookshop lover it was perfect for me. And, having seen a wonderful movie yesterday, wonderful except for a sad dog scene, it was just what I needed to read a happy dog story. Of course, I’d love to have a dog and a bookshop, so I’m a bit sad that I don’t.

The illustrations are good. They’re bright and colorful and bold and detailed, and I think most kids will find them appealing. I hadn’t known that this author was also an illustrator.

This book can be appreciated by a wide range of readers/listeners, I’d say any age. It’s good for read aloud and independent readers of all ages. I wish all bookstores had resident dogs or cats; I love the ones that do.

I’m hoping it’s because this book was published pre-Goodreads that it has so few ratings/reviews. I’m hoping that more members have read it but just not shelved it on the site. It deserves to be more widely read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookshop Dog.

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 18: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Across the street from my apartment complex in Santa Rosa was a used bookstore with a friendly cat. The owners (a divorced couple and their daughter) said he just turned up in the parking lot one day and stayed.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Oh how lovely, Miriam. I'd have liked that bookstore.

message 16: by Miriam (new)

Miriam And they let you trade in your old books for store credit! The only drawback to the place was that there was no pedestrian crossing on that street; I'm lucky I never got run over dashing across 6 lanes of traffic.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Yes, I have a bookstore in my neighborhood that does that. It's not my favorite place though. They don't keep track of their used book stock so it's a hunt, and I always have trouble finding books in there, especially used books. I used to love the store though. Now, I read 99%+ library books, but I still love bookstores.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane There is an indie bookstore in Venice where the cat they adopted from Lange (where I volunteer) lives :)

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Oh and Lisa, wouldn't it be great to have a bookstore AND a dog(s) and cat(s) to keep company!

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Diane, I'd love that bookstore!! How wonderful that they adopted from Lange. And, yes, in the old days I wanted a book shop with animals. Now, it's so challenging to keep storefront bookshops open and profitable, unfortunately.

message 11: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Hey, Lisa, is that bookstore on 25th and Clement still open? I swear they never got a new book in 10 years...

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Jul 10, 2012 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Miriam wrote: "Hey, Lisa, is that bookstore on 25th and Clement still open? I swear they never got a new book in 10 years..."

Hmm. That's right near me, for decades now. I don't know that store. Green Apple at 6th and Clement is still there. The store that used to be on Geary in the teens is no longer there. But there are many independent bookstores still in the city. I try to buy a few books a year from them, but I almost always use the library.

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Haha, funny! I don't remember the name of the place, it is a little dusty hole one could easily miss. My mother suspected it was a front for drugs or spies because no one ever seemed to buy anything but they stayed open.

Green Apple I know very well, and for a few years there was another bookstore a couple avenues below it on Clement and 3rd or 4th -- Change of Hobbit? Something like that. I don't remember one on Geary.

Lisa Vegan The ones I like best are in other neighborhoods. I can't remember the name of the one that was on Geary. I went there as a young person when I lived in other neighborhoods but not so much once I moved to the area. Bet a friend will remember the name.

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I walked that way to grade school, I'm surprised I don't know it.

Lisa Vegan Miriam wrote: "I walked that way to grade school, I'm surprised I don't know it."

Me too. It was around then. South side of the street on a corner. I have an email into a friend.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I love bookstores with cats or dogs in them! Most of the ones I've been to have cats, but the one in my hometown has a big old dog and I just loved hearing his happy tail thump-thump-thump while I looked at books ;-)

Lisa Vegan I love both too, and yes, I think cats are more common. We have a kind of gift store in the city and the owners' two dogs are always around. They're very mellow and ignore you unless you pet them. I love it in there even though I'm usually just buying greeting cards and sometimes my annual week at a glance appointment book. Not a bookstore, unfortunately, although they have a small selection of gift books.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane When Endre and I were in Boston last summer we stopped at a little family-owned wine shop on Beacon Hill where there was a resident cat!

Lisa Vegan Diane, I just love that. I'm sure you were missing your three babies and I miss not having any companion animals, but it's so lovely to see them in shops.

Lisa Vegan Oh, that is sad. They didn't get another cat?!