Sara's Reviews > Dead Man's Walk

Dead Man's Walk by Larry McMurtry

Jun 12, 2012

I liked this one less than Lonesome Dove (no western beats that classic) but more than Streets of Laredo. It's really interesting to see my two favorite Texas Rangers as young men. Call is pretty much himself, but Gus is a much more timid and less sure version of who he turns out to be. He meets the love of his life, Clara, in this book and that encounter was pretty amusing.

McMurtry really pours it on in this book. The action is brutal and graphic (some of the scalping descriptions will probably stay with me forever)- disembowelment, castration, leprosy - you name it, its got it. Buffalo Hump is a fascinating villain who eventually fathers the main villain of Lonesome Dove - Blue Duck - with a kidnapped Mexican girl. Gus and Call’s new companions are endearing, especially the tracker Bigfoot Wallace and the heavy-set whore Matilda Roberts (the Big Western), who proves that she's got lady balls. At first she annoyed me, but then she grew on me and her motherly attitude was a welcome breath of fresh air in the novel.

What's different about this book than the last two - well, there are lots of differences, but the main is that Gus and Call just seem like two kids swept along a series of adventures, whereas in Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo they were the 'movers along of the plot.' Does that make sense? Hope so.

The conclusion (without giving it away) makes me think that McMurtry didn't really know how to end his book. It's so random and absurd that I can't decide if I love it or hate it or if perhaps McMurtry was smoking weed when he dreamed it up. I read the last 20 pages with a giant grin on my face because it was just that ridiculous. Intriguing, but ridiculous.

All in all - an action packed, unforgiving, fun read with a silly (inspired?) ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man's Walk.

June 12, 2012 – Started Reading