Jessika's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Oct 07, 2008

bookshelves: series, favorites, fiction, chicklit, own
Recommended for: Paige...she'd love it
Read in June, 2009 — I own a copy

Let's see. I couldn't put this book down. I'm not usually one to like "chick lit," but I really enjoyed this book. Thinking about the situation between Rachel and Dex, I know that what they're doing is wrong, end of story. But at the same time, I couldn't help but root for them. To me, that takes a good author--one who can let you look past the black and white and peer into the gray. For the most part, yes, this is your average predictable chick lit, but Emily Giffin throws in enough surprises to keep you reading. Rachel is witty, sarcastic, and funny. I did catch myself laughing out loud a few times. I will admit that part of the reason that this book appealed to me so much is the fact that I could really relate to Rachel--Rachel and I would get along just fine...we're birds of a feather (minus the fact that I've never had anything to do with any of my best friends' guys nor do I plan to). Darcy really got on my nerves, but I think that's what Giffin intended. I'm feeling very hesitant towards reading Something Blue--not so much because of the author, but because of the character. There were also times when I wanted to shake Rachel when she seemed too desperate about Dex--more so because I've been there, done that than because of any flaw of Giffin's. Basically, this a pretty easy read, and if you're looking for an attention-getting summer read, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.

05/28/2009 page 25
7.76% "So far enjoying this. Giffin is witty and humorous, and my attention was grabbed instantly."
06/03/2009 page 50
15.53% "Surprised, but delighted. Wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much, but I love it so far! The ultimate moral dilemma...hmm..."
06/03/2009 page 88
27.33% "I am loving this. Can't stop reading! Can't stand Darcy, and am intrigued to see how Dex and Rachel are going to figure out this dilemma."
06/03/2009 page 101
31.37% "I don't want to go to bed! I want to keep reading!"
06/04/2009 page 149
46.27% "For as wrong as Rachel and Dex are, it takes a good author to make me root for them!"
06/04/2009 page 170
52.8% "At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finish this today. :)"
06/04/2009 page 221
68.63% "I'm not a huge fan of chick lit, but I have to say that I think this is a great book!"
06/05/2009 page 288
89.44% "The only thing I don't like is that at times, Rachel can seem really really desperate and pathetic over Dex."
06/05/2009 page 288
06/05/2009 page 299
92.86% "Aaannnddd....the shit has hit the fan!"

Allison Love your review, Jess. You HAVE to read Something Blue now. :) Honestly. I felt the same way (not sure if I wanted to cause of the character) but I actually loved Something Blue even more than Something Borrowed. Go read it! :)

Rhiannon Loved your review and I agree with ya!! I also recommend Something Blue. It's amazing, and just shows Emily Giffin's gift in her writing!! Another one you won't be able to put down!!