Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, arc

August 2012: (First, I never read the short story because by the time I discovered it I already knew it was a novel so I didn't want to ruin anything for myself...you know, just in case. Now that I've finished the book, I'll read the story.)

The book -- AMAZING. I loved it. Really. It's chock-full of bibliophile goodness. This is up there with Ready Player One geeky goodness.

Clay finds himself unemployed (like many these days) and one day stumbles into a quirky bookstore looking for a late-night clerk. The bookstore is full of books Clay's never heard of before (in fact, no one's heard of them). One night, he gets curious (and bored) and creates a basic computer replica of the bookstore WITH data from the customer logbooks. He spots something strange in the data and there the adventure begins.

Speaking of connecting the dots...It's still funny how everything I read is somehow connected to another recent read. Where'd You Go, Bernadette is full of Microsoft employees and a kind of anti-love letter to Seattle. Mr. Penumbra is full of Google goodness and San Francisco love. (Also, both books are awesome.)

June 2012: Is this the story that started it: http://www.robinsloan.com/mr-penumbra/ ?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

June 12, 2012 – Shelved
August 23, 2012 – Started Reading
August 25, 2012 –
page 125
43.4% "If you like books and geeky adventure, you MUST read this book. <3"
August 25, 2012 –
page 304
100% ""the right book exactly, at exactly the right time.""
August 25, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 26, 2012 – Shelved as: read-2012
August 26, 2012 – Shelved as: arc

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin Sloan It is indeed!

Melissa Rochelle Robin wrote: "It is indeed!"

That's awesome!

message 3: by Trish (new)

Trish Thanks for the link!

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I fell in love with this story when it aired on EscapePod - can't wait for the novel!

April loved 'Ready Player one

loved Ready Player One! Can't wait to try this one - thx.

Verusex Great to find anther bibliophile/puzzel book that is fun. Best of all not written by Dan Brown.