Debbie I Heart YA Books's Reviews > By Royal Command

By Royal Command by Laura Navarre

Jun 12, 2012

By Royal Command is a wonderful, heart-touching love story. Laura Navarre has written a beautiful Historical romance. She wrote the language in this novel so authentically that I felt like I truly was back in England during the Dark Ages. I fell in love with this story of Katrin trying to gain her freedom and true love. Katrin is a young woman that I enjoyed, she was strong-willed, independent, and definitely no whiney girl. I loved seeing this kind of strength in a character, especially in a young woman who's only seventeen where men ruled. I also love the way Navarre described her romance scenes, she has an amazing way of showing her readers love, not lust. Laura Navarre has a beautiful talent for writing love-felt romance.

Katrin was fourteen when her uncle, king Ethelred of England, married her off in an unwilling union to Maldred of Courtenay. Katrin is seventeen now, and Maldred died a year ago. Katrin hasn't shed any tears over the death of her cruel husband and she finally has freedom until her uncle, king Ethelred sees he can still use her for his bidding. King Ethelred sends his Viking sword-theyn to bring Kartin back to England to wed her off again for his gain.

Katrin is to be wed to Rafael baron of Belmaine. But the king has a more devious plan. He’s after Borovic, the earl of Argent, who is Rafael eldest brother. The king’s plan works after Borovic sees the Beautiful Katrin. He goes insane with want for her. Borovic has sworn to Katrin that she will be his and in his bed. Katrin will have to use all her wits to protect herself and her marriage to Rafael, who she has fallen in love with.

By Royal Command had me rooting for Katrin to have the life and love she deserves. Katrin and Rafael’s romance is one I also was rooting for. I recommend By Royal Command as a Historical with a fairytale romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Royal Command.