Naeem's Reviews > Metaphors We Live By

Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff

Jul 24, 2007

bookshelves: favorite-books-of-a-lifetime

This book changed my life. It has short chapters, 5-10 pages. you can get most of what you need from chapters 1-3 and the epilogue.

It explains the structure of metaphor. Turns out, at least for me, that theory is metaphorical, language is metaphorical, life itself is metaphorical.

So what does that do for us? It makes it possible to realize the perspectivism is not an ideal to shoot for in some pristine Kantian space, but the very quantum material of social life.

In this recognition, I found a way to calm down, to converse with my enemy, to find the overlap between anger and peace, laughter and crying, life and death. Or rather, I am finding it.

(Lakhoff's work on metaphor and war was good in the 1990s -- first invasion of Iraq. But his more recent stuff strikes me as a bit jingoistic. I emailed him about this -- since I took him to be a hero of mine. But he never wrote back.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metaphors We Live By.

Finished Reading
July 24, 2007 – Shelved
October 9, 2008 – Shelved as: favorite-books-of-a-lifetime

message 1: by Kaafpay (new)

Kaafpay This book was formative for me...I haven't read the more recent stuff...I think I'll avoid it and preserve the magic...