Jackee's Reviews > The Return of the Native

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy

Oct 06, 2008

bookshelves: to-read, adult-fiction

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the Native.

message 1: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah I was assigned to read this one in HS and because of that didn't think much of it, but when I read it again later it was so much more applicable to my life.

The assumptions made by the characters in ascertaining how others can further their life quests, and the ironic consequences that follow, are seen so often in society, making this a timeless piece. Hope you like it, even with Hardy's old literary style.

If you like it a lot you might also like "Jude the Obscure", which has a similar theme of life not going as planned. If you find it too much, you would prefer "Far From the Madding Crowd", which is one of his lighter works about vanity interfering with true love.

Anyway, Thomas Hardy has been influential in my writing, along with a lot of other writers of his time. Hope you can glean something from him too.

message 2: by Jackee (new) - added it

Jackee I started this in HS too, but never finished it and it has been sitting on my shelf ever since. I loved Tess of the D'Ubervilles and have always meant to read so many more of Hardy's books. He and George Eliot are some of those I wish I could just curl up in a blanket and read for a few days straight. (Not gonna happen, though, with kids.)