Rebecca ♥ Ash, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Beguiled

Beguiled by RaShelle Workman

Jun 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: sci-fi, romance, young-adult, own-ebook, reviewed, ghosts-death-afterlife
Read from November 11 to 12, 2012

This book was really disappointing after I enjoyed the first one. It was also really short. I read it in about 2 hrs.

Everything was very rushed, very little was explained or fleshed out with emotion. Things just happened with no transition. Also, 6 weeks passed between book 1 and 2, and there were things that had happened inbetween that made no sense to me. We didnt get to see how it came to be. And there was no world building. Nothing was explained to us about the world and it was very confusing. If I hadnt grown attached to the characters in Exiled, I wouldnt have cared what happened to them in this.

And the romance was a bit of a mess. Although Michael was clearly the one she was meant to be with due to the way he was explored and focused on as a character, Venus was clearly in love with Zaren. When she was with him I sensed no uncertainty from her. But then when Michael showed up she was suddenly confused again. It was not convincingly done at all and felt entirely unnatural. The same goes for Zaren. He was in love with Venus since book one, but as soon as a former lover showed up, he seemed to be completely over her. I had expected it to take the whole of the book, or perhaps the series, for Venus to slowly realize that Michael was her soul mate. Instead, she is caught up with Zaren for the whole book until BAM! She loves Michael with no build up, and all progress they had made in book 1 had disappeared when she picked Zaren.

I am really confused about what happened to this book, considering how much I enjoyed book 1. It feels like a completely different writing style. As if it were rushed, amateur, or a rough draft. But I will still read Dovetailed, in case it ends up being more like Exiled, and if it's as short of this one it will be no trouble to give the series another chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beguiled.

11/11/2012

Natalie S. These are the exact same problems I had with this book. Have you read anything else by this author? Considering I liked the first book, I'm willing to take a risk with one of her author's other series to see if they are better.

message 2: by Rebecca ♥ Ash, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Nov 13, 2012 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rebecca ♥ Ash, Kishan, Warner ♥ I havent read anything else by her but I do have Sleeping Roses (Dead Roses, #1) by RaShelle Workman and Blood and Snow (Blood and Snow Volume 1) by RaShelle Workman on my kindle. I will give them a try eventually.