Azhureheart's Reviews > The Janus Affair

Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: steampunk
Read from July 08 to 10, 2012

I loved it.
From the very first page, I got sucked into the story. Books and Braun were great, the adventure/mystery had to do with the suffragist movement and was pretty amazing. Fast-paced and action packed. Crazy inventions and corsets. Everything that I love.

I liked how the relationship between the partners develops. I wanted to kill Douglas (who made me think of Archimedes Fox from Heart of Steel) but I could see the attraction at the same time. Still, I sometimes hated how Eliza acted around him (especially in relation to Books). I loved how Alice and the Ministry 7 took Welly's side. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Alice in a future book.
I had wanted to see where Wellington is living since the first book, so I was glad we got to see it.
Speaking of him... I love Welly. I love that he is a geek with combat skills, as we saw him in the first book. Some combat skills would have been cool. But that he was trained to be a super soldier, that was a bit too much. He didn't need that to be interesting... I really liked that Eliza was the more physical one. I was a bit disappointed they felt they had to make him that too. It felt a bit easy and cheap.

But the action was top-notch... I love the final scenes. Welly and Sophia in the oubliette, the parachutes, the twins... LOVED it.

The book had some editing problems. That was surprising, it's not like it's published by a small publication house... 7€ from amazon.fr and it has typos even I can see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janus Affair.

07/08/2012 page 7
2.0% "ce qui est bien avec ces auteurs, c'est que dès le prologue on est jeté dans l'histoire. <3"
07/10/2012 page 296