Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}'s Reviews > The Assassin's Curse

8282085
Jun 11, 2012

bookshelves: favourite, five-stars, reviewed
Read in June, 2012

For me, the Assassin's Curse is one of my best reads of 2012 (so far). It's full of adventure, magic, and a pinch of romance. It has amazing world building and spectacular characters.

You know what? I hated it in the beginning.

It felt absurd. The main character rode of on a camel. Ok... I guess since it's like Arabia (or something) they have camels to ride off on. But, I live in good old Midwest.

There ain't no camels here.

Than Naji came in. After that, it became awesome. Like assassin ninja awesome. Yes, that awesome.

Characters:
Ananna is brave, headstrong, naive, and all around awesome. She says what she likes, is capable, and isn't automatically in love with any guy. She saved Naji just as many times as he saved her.

Naji wasn't the normal male hero. He was a good assassin but he was at times naive and brash, and a bit insecure. Naji was completely, absolutely, amazingly amazing.

The minor characters were interesting and nicely developed. I really loved every character.

Plot:
Plot:
The plot is very different from most of the books I've read. It seems like something my little brother would make up with blood magic and sea magic and assassins. But it works. It works really really well.

It starts with action and ends with a touch of romance. If you are looking for a heavy romance, don't go here. Minor spoiler alert: there are no kisses other than pecks on the cheek.

I found the romance in it so much more powerful because of the lack of "real romance" (for lack of better term). You aren't told "WE ARE IN WUVE, DEAL WITH IT!"

Writing:
Writing special only works sometimes. Some either go over board or not enough. This was really nice. Sometimes I did I double take with random grammatical errors. It was really funny.

Clarke can write! I smelled the food, saw the buildings, and coughed the sand. This is a masterpiece of literature.

What I liked and disliked:
Liked:
* The Beautiful Characters
* Wonderful World building
* Amazing plot
* Awesome writing

Disliked:
* The Beginning
* The Blurb

In Conclusion:
This book rocked. I loved it. It is definitely one of my favorites of 2012 and all time. I think you should BUY IT.

————————————————————————

Favorite Character: Kaji or Ananna
Favorite Quote:

"We're close," Naji said.
"Close to what?" I was hoping he'd trip and give me some kind of hint as to where we were headed.
"The canyon."
"And what's in the canyon?"
"A river."
I didn't even care that he was weaseling out of telling me anything important. "A river?" I said. "Water?"
"Water generally comprises a river, yes."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Curse.

06/14/2012
15.0% "Is it just me or does this book read like Middle school book??"
06/20/2012
50.0% "I love this book. Someone needs to write a much better blurb for this book."
07/11/2012
22.0% "Re-reading. Please Clarke, publish another book sooooooon." 3 comments
07/12/2012
32.0% 2 comments
07/13/2012
50.0% "That darn river girl. Leave Naji alone. -_-"
07/13/2012
89.0% ""And his voice was as soft as a kiss" <3"
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Katie_la_geek I see this book grew on you!

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Yes yes it did. The book is amazing. But now I have to wait till 2013 for the next one.

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} The blurb for me is what made me hesitant. I hate the blurb.

Katie_la_geek Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "The blurb for me is what made me hesitant. I hate the blurb."

I can't wait for the next one. Naji needs to pull his head out of his ass and see whats in front of him. It is such a good book and Ananna is really, really awesome.

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Agreed. Ananna has to in my top five. What I really like in this one is there is no instant love. (view spoiler)

Katie_la_geek Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "Agreed. Ananna has to in my top five. What I really like in this one is there is no instant love. [spoilers removed]"

I agree, it was so much better and it is going to make that moment more powerful for it. I really just loved this one, it is one of my books of the year so far.

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} It did! By the time the first impossible thing happened, I melted. Definitely one of the best books so far.

Zuleeza Wait, what? You're re-reading this? This soon? This book must have bewitched you beyond reasons XD

message 3: by Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} (last edited Jul 11, 2012 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} It did. Completely in love with everything. I need her next book now.

Zuleeza Ehem...I agree that the blurb is so mundane compared to the book.