Will Byrnes's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction

There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
This is a charming journey of self-discovery by a character who has a dual nature, human and fairy. He makes it work, with the assistance of sundry others. Beginning his journey seeking his heart’s desire, he finds by the time he returns home that what he truly values has changed. The characters are…well..fairy tale characters and we should not be looking for great depth here. There is darkness, evil, and real risk for our nicer types, and bad guys who are really, really bad. A fun, and quick read. This is a charming fairy tale, written in clear, and pretty language, with many creative elements. It sparkles.

description
Charlie Cox and Claire Danes star in the delightful film adaptation - from The Hollywood News

I also reviewed Gaiman's
-----The View from the Cheap Seats in June 2016
-----The Graveyard Book more fully in October 2012.
-----The Ocean at the End of the Lane in August 2013
-----Trigger Warning in March 2015

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

Started Reading
August 7, 2007 – Finished Reading
October 5, 2008 – Shelved
June 9, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 9, 2018 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Algernon I saw the movie before reading the book, and maybe this made it easier for me to connect with the book. I also liked very much the illustrations by Charles Vess.

message 2: by Julio (new) - added it

Julio Genao first of a series of three essays on stardust, presented by tor books:

Will Byrnes OMG, J. This is brilliant, incisive material. Thanks for this amazing link!

PorshaJo I love this one. But I understand that many think it might not be Gaiman's best work. He's a master at storytelling and will read anything by him. Looks like you are working your way through his works also Will.

Will Byrnes I read this one a while ago. But I do hope to fill in some of the many gaps in my reading of Gaiman's oeuvre eventually.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice Thanks for the directory! :)

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice ...But double check the last two. ????

Will Byrnes Jan wrote: "...But double check the last two. ????"
Totally weird, as I have read neither of the books that showed up with the flawed links. No idea how that happened, but fixed now. thanks for the heads up.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice Good job; ghosts busted.

message 10: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes I ain't afraid of no ghosts

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice OK, who's going to put up the song, you or me?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

message 13: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Jan wrote: "OK, who's going to put up the song, you or me?"

Looks like moi

message 14: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Christy wrote: "I think I may be in need of a fairy tale. Suddenly that sounds appealing in today's harsh world."
Particularly when there are so many all-too-real monsters terrorizing the population

message 15: by Johnathan Gray (new)

Johnathan Gray Hi my name is jon'niece

message 16: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Hi, Jon'niece

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice Will wrote: "Jan wrote: "OK, who's going to put up the song, you or me?"

Looks like moi"

Thanks, I needed that....

message 18: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Jan wrote: "Will wrote: "Jan wrote: "OK, who's going to put up the song, you or me?"

Looks like moi"

Thanks, I needed that...."

You know who to call

message 19: by Deago (new) - added it

Deago Sirenden whoa another Neil Gaiman book that i haven't read, i would like to try this one, but why it's just 3 stars?

message 20: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes I would probably have given it four were I reading it for the first time in 2016. It as definitely sweet and sparkly. I suppose it was a reaction to the thin-ness of the story. But then, it was not exactly attempting to be great literature. Gaiman was attempting to write a fairy tale and he succeeded. So four it will be.

message 21: by Deago (new) - added it

Deago Sirenden Thanks Will,
I think i will read this, ohh and the movie too, off course.

Wait your review for another Gaiman work Will...

message 22: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Deago wrote: "Thanks Will,
I think i will read this, ohh and the movie too, off course.

Wait your review for another Gaiman work Will..."

I linked four more of my Gaiman reviews at the bottom of this one. Have at it.

message 23: by Deago (new) - added it

Deago Sirenden ok will

Nadja (fit-and-beautiful-heart-reads) I just love it. Not just one of my favourite books but also movie...

message 25: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars