Zoë Marriott's Reviews > Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret  Rogerson

1975715

Squarely aimed at readers who loved LIRAEL beyond words (me) and wanted to move straight into the Great Library of the Clayr (me) with a brilliant heroine, a really great hero, and Silas, who is a mixture of Mogget the talking cat if he had been a main character and the Disreputable Dog if she had raised Lirael from a child like a surrogate parent (yes, I see you Margaret Rogerson, and I am not mad). Writing a little workmanlike at times, but also rising to sheer poetry at others. In case this isn't clear enough: LOVED IT. Ended up having to ration it so that I wouldn't tear through to the end in one day. And the ending was Just Right, too - a rare and beautiful designation.

Very glad I read this. I think it (like the Old Kingdom books) will definitely become a comfort re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorcery of Thorns.

July 26, 2020 – Started Reading
July 26, 2020 – Shelved
July 26, 2020 –
page 15
3.31% "I need a palate cleanser from The Bookshop of Yesterdays which is turning out to be considerably more whiny and less whimsical than I had hoped. From the first few pages this seems to be squarely aimed at readers who wanted to move into the Clayr's Great Library from LIRAEL and live there. So... me. Writing is excellent so far. Very promising."
July 29, 2020 – Finished Reading