Cathy 's Reviews > The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires

The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires by Molly Harper

Jun 10, 2012

bookshelves: humor, romance, urban, fantasy, vampire, read-in-2012, paranormal
Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

Her books are always very cute as long as you can buy into the basic romance premise of people falling in love very quickly. And this one adds in that cliché that I always have trouble with where the guy is a few thousand years old, cold-hearted and uninterested in love, but suddenly in a matter of days just can't help falling for and turning his life upside down for our lovely in many ways but really rather ordinary heroine. It's that silly paranormal romance novel thing, you just have to go with it. But how can you not love a guy who loves the heroine's sister enough to buy her a pink taser, right? There are a lot of sweet moments, some good laughs and some good characters, as usual for a Harper novel. Maybe not her best, but a good book.

I am disappointed that I wasn't able to read the prequel novella, Driving Mr. Dead. It's become quite a trend for authors to independently publish novellas as a part of their series, but I'm not at all a fan of this trend. It completely leaves out library readers from the equation. In this case it doesn't matter as much because it's romance and the stories are only loosely tied together, each one has it's own independent happy ending. But it's still frustrating for readers who just can't afford the stories or who won't use ebooks still (I hear there are a few). And authors who are switching to ebooks all together like Terry Goodkind are losing me as a fan entirely, it's just not an option for me. I get the idea, but I wasn't spending the money for hardcover prices for his books in the first place, I can't afford the ebook price now. According to the ALA there are over 16,000 public library branches in the US. It seems like a pretty big audience for indie pub authors to be ignoring. I'm not saying that the $2 asking price for the nook or kindle ebook version of a more than 100 page novella is a bad deal, it's proportional, it's just not an option on my budget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires.

08/18/2012 page 155
40.0% "Silly (in a good way), getting romantic. Vintage Harper."