Kristen's Reviews > Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1

Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1 by Akira Toriyama

Jun 10, 2012

bookshelves: manga, manga-action, manga-volume-one, manga-shounen, manga-fantasy-scifi
Read in June, 2012

It's hard to review stuff like this without your nostalgia goggles on, but I still think that this volume was pretty great. It has all the characters we know and love from Dragon Ball, but now they are five years older. I think this was a wise decision on Toriyama's part. You get the sense of familarity from the returning cast, but the passage of time gives a nice change of pace. Progression is something that some stories have trouble with: characters and plots remain static and can get boring. Toriyama's characters tend to age well. You can watch them grow up, get married and have children, and yet they still feel like the character that you met in back in Dragon Ball. In volume one of Dragon Ball Z, we are introduced to Goku's son, Gohan, faced with a terrifying new enemy and given the answer to the question everyone wants to know the answer to: "Why does Goku have a tail?". DBZ is a bit more serious than its predecessor and has a lot more action. There are action lines galore. The art is fantastic. Characters' faces are expressive without resorting to emoticons. The special effects and lettering look unique and add to the atmosphere. The backgrounds are a bit simple and oftentimes nonexistant, but seeing as the volume is pretty much one big fight scene, I am willing to forgive. If you've ever seen the show, this is almost exactly the same. As a fan of the anime, I find it hard not to read the manga in the voices of the show. Because I think of the show I watched as a kid and continue to watch as an adult so fondly, it's possible that I view the manga in a biased way. I gave it five stars because I enjoyed reading it. It has fun characters, an interesting plot and good art. It's rare to find all three in one manga. I think it is a good starting point for a manga newbie and a must read for manga veterans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1.