LD Durham's Reviews > Unacceptable Risk

Unacceptable Risk by Kaje Harper

Jun 10, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, m-m-romance, shifter

I love the werewolves genre, even though it has been stretched completely out of proportion, white-washed, sugar-coated and beaten into every shape known to man.

I love it because I continue to hold out hope that someone will get it right. And Harper did!

First, I truly appreciate it when the monsters are still monsters. The werewolves in this book have clothed themselves in high moral reasons for being scary, but it doesn't matter: they are still scary! These are the kind of werewolves that aren't going to pile together in a big puppy pile and share stories and hot chocolate (which I have had the misfortune to read in another book. It was traumatizing). These dudes are big, bad, and not to be caught on the wrong side of. Loved it!

Our heroes were smart and realistic. Sure, Simon is a werewolf, but he isn't moving cars with his bare hands when he's not being watched. Nope, he's a carpenter. He's trying to survive in a tense political situation. He's not an alpha, he not the biggest, or the baddest, or the smartest. How refreshing is that??

And while he's busy surviving and still trying to enjoy life, he bumps into workaholic veterinarian, Paul. Paul has some issues, but he's not afraid to go toe-to-toe with Simon when he things Simon's "dog" has been in a fighting pit. The scenes in the vet clinic were rendered wonderfully with enough detail to make it real, but not so much it lost or bored me.

This book was well-written with no noticeable typos. The story was tight and built tension really well with plenty of plausibility. Everything was rendered with a natural touch and I was never tossed out of the story by a discrepancy.

I totally recommend this story. A very good read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unacceptable Risk.