Leah K's Reviews > What the Deaf-Mute Heard

liked it
bookshelves: own

What the Deaf-Mute Heard by G. D. Gearino

★ ★ ★

Synopisis: Ten-year-old Sammy Ayers awakes on a bus in Barrington, Georgia, to find that he's been abandoned by his mother. Scared and alone, he doesn't speak, leading residents to believe that he's a deaf-mute. He ends up living in the bus station, working as its janitor. At age 62, he relates the strange course of his life.

I didn't know what to expect from this book. With a big label stating it was made into a Hallmark film, I was expecting a feel good book. Because that's what Hallmark does, right? Well, while the film version may be feel good (and from reviews I've read, it is), the book is not. The main character is cynical and harsh and unforgiving. At times the book is downright crude. Not particularly a bad thing, just wasn't what I was expecting.

With that in mind, I thought the storyline and premise were good. However, I felt it was poorly done. There were too many characters that just weren't described or brought any interest, including main characters. The story is written haphazardly – jumping all over the place. It was a good attempt and delving into major topics such as racism in the south in the 1940s but none of it is truly explored. I did enjoy Sammy's (the main character) snarky and sarcastic remarks but even he never fully grew on me. In fact, by the end, he began to grind on my nerves. Whatever happy, fuzzy lessons he learns in the movie never occurs in the book. In fact, it seems he learns nothing and vindictiveness wins.

An okay book but nothing to gush about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Deaf-Mute Heard.

June 10, 2012 – Started Reading