Rachel's Reviews > Matinicus -- An Island Mystery

Jun 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: modern-fiction
Read from May 18 to 26, 2013

This book has a great setting - a close-knit lobster fishing community of about fifty people on an isolated island. This book had a good plan - unearthing a historical mystery while another mystery unfolds in the present. Unfortunately the main character is a sex-crazed scandalized college professor out to run away from his past, but stumbling into pretty much the same mess all over again.

The first few deaths look accidental... to everyone. NO ONE has a clue that anything fishy is going on. The reader can only guess that something is probably up because of the book's blurb. No progress is really made on the modern-day mystery until around 65% of the way through the book. Most of what's taking place before that is Gil Hodges (sex-craxed scandalized prof.) is learning the meaning of life in an island community, eating a lot of home-made pie, staying in an old crush's house while she's on vacation, and trying unsuccessfully to repress "the old me" as he calls it while mingling with the islanders.

It was an interesting read, but not if what you were really looking for was unraveling a mystery. The mystery doesn't really unfold over the course of the book so much as it blows up in the last 25% of the book (and not in a fabulous way - more like an "oh yeah... this should probably get going soon" kind of way). It does have a good twist at the end, definitely a surprise, but almost too much so. Not quite enough of being able to get that make you catch your breath that now all the pieces you've been given all along fit together and it gives you that great creepy feeling that you can't believe you missed it.

I will give credit, you get a great sense of the close-knit community that takes care of its own business. Kind of reminiscent of the Stephen King mini-series Storm of the Century in that aspect. It's an enjoyable read in that regard - you really feel like you're kind of living there for the summer too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matinicus -- An Island Mystery.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Darcy Scott
“who's this dub?" "Lawyer." Lawyer? I glance to Al for clarification but he's clearly as bewildered as I am. (argument amongst other fishermen) John heads toward the door, then turns, points to me. "You're alright. Only lawyer I ever seen could keep his yap shut longer than thirty seconds.”
Darcy Scott, Matinicus -- An Island Mystery

05/18/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/18/2013
10.0% "The high content of profanity in the first several pages as well as the opening scene are pretty off-putting. I don't see why they are necessary given what the story is supposed to be about. Hoping it gets better like everyone says it does."
05/20/2013
14.0% "Definitely getting a really good sense of life on Matinicus, how different it is from the Mainland."
05/21/2013
28.0% "Story is still in developmental stages, not sure how I feel about that for being one-fourth of the way through... I'm also confused about Tiffany. The first page says she's fifteen, but there's conflicting treatment of her by different characters as to her age. Hodge keeps describing her as more like 12, and first talked about how her body was barely developing, but then soon talks about how shapely she is"
05/25/2013
72.0% "The historical part of the story is progressing, but the present-day part of the story is not moving very much... bodies are adding up but the facts are not : ("
05/26/2013 marked as: read