Rambling Readers's Reviews > Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore

Jun 10, 2012

Angel Eyes is an exciting debut novel by Shannon Dittemore that will leave readers eagerly anticipating the sequel. You definitely don't have to be a young adult reader to enjoy the characters, plot, and message. Like popular mainstream fantasy novels, Angel Eyes transcends age boundaries with an action-packed plot and appealing characters. Dittemore blends these elements with a strong Christian message that is unique and thought-provoking without being preachy. Vampires and wizards are replaced by angels and demons in the classic, but very real battle, of good versus evil.

Although I am typically drawn to historical fiction novels, I do enjoy fantasy novels like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Angel Eyes certainly ranks with those books, and I was drawn into the plot from the beginning. There are plenty of danger and action-sequences to keep the story moving along, but there are also introspective moments that provide dimension to the plot and its characters. Dittemore tells the story from the perspectives of two teens, Brielle and Jake, as well as an angel and a demon. Each character offers different insights into the "Terrestrial" world and the "Celestial" world. The demon's perspective was the most disturbing and slightly graphic of the four, but clearly illustrated the poisons of greed, hatred, and fear.

Dittmore's depiction of fear is particularly relevant to readers since it is something that most of us deal with to some extent daily. Whether or not events in the Celestial realm play out like they do in Angel Eyes, the novel provides an illustration of how our human weaknesses can be turned into instruments of evil. Just like Jake and Brielle, we engage in battles of good versus evil daily whether mentally, emotionally, or physically. Reading Angel Eyes, opened my eyes to the fact that something as ordinary as fear can spread, multiply, and lead us down the wrong path. This message is important for young adults facing the pressures of growing up, but it is equally important for adults.

Angel Eyes is a story about faith, wrapped in a covering of a fantasy-action novel. The beginnings of a love story also flow throughout the plot, providing a respite from the fighting and danger. But it is all of the elements together that make me ready for the second and third novels.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from LitFuse through their book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed above are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Eyes.