Dale's Reviews > The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach

Jun 10, 2012

Read from June 04 to 10, 2012

Having adored the movie, I was motivated to read the book. I was suspicious when I learned the book had been re-titled to match the movie and re-marketed. Perhaps this is a case of a movie promoting a book. The 2 are very different. While the storyline is the same--outsourcing old age, the stories within are quite different.
Being on the threshold of old-age, I understood the thoughts of the characters very well. Aged people from all walks of life, facing declining financial situations, wandering offspring with their own lives and feelings of no longer having value.
This book (and the movie) evoke emotions of a satisfying synthesis of humor and pathos. If there is humor in old people trying to find meaning in what is left of their lives while waiting for the axe to fall.
While the movie deals only with the lives of the old folks, the book brings in the equally complicated emotions of the children. It seems we all, no matter what age, wonder and worry if we have done our best, made a difference or really matter to other human beings. We all long for some meaningful intimate contact with others.
I found the book thought-provoking, if not conversation-provoking. You will have to decide for yourself if it is worth reading or sharing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

09/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Having enjoyed the movie, I appreciate your query of whether or not the movie promoted the book. I don't want to be disappointed by the book, and wonder, in your opinion, is it well written?

Dale The book is well worth reading. Especially if you felt the movie was just a little too neat and tidy. I was actually disappointed that all the lives in the movie ended happily ever after.
As an author, I a would be thrilled that my little story was picked up into a movie and thus became worth re-publishing on the movie's shirt-tails.

Lindy Ditto!!!!