Oscar's Reviews > Spider-Man: One More Day

Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski

208475

did not like it
bookshelves: graphic-novels

** spoiler alert ** What a sad end to J. Michael Straczynski's great tenure as lead writer on Spider-Man. His additions of Ezekiel, Morlun, the possibility that Peter is a manifestation of a grand Spider deity, Peter as a public school teacher, the fantastic Spider-Man: The Other storyline (Spidey loses as eye,what?!), and Aunt May discovers Peter's alternate identity. All wonderful leaps of logic to an iconic character that a lesser writer would be happy with simple story rehashes.

Speaking of rehasin': I was happy to see the black costume come back but sad to know that it really only happened because of the Spider-Man 3 movie tie-in which I'm sure was a call from the Marvel powers-that-be.

The same powers-that-be (cough, Joe Quesada, cough) who contributed lousy artwork to this series (I could barely recognize Spidey in most of the panels and most of the covers were just awful) and whose idea of ending Peter and MJ's marriage will add nothing to the Spider-Lore.

A nice touch with the Stan Lee afterword and his justification of the ultimate retcon but while I dig Stan's point of view, I still can't get back my time from what was a lazy, clumsy, and disrespectful send-off to one of the best writers Marvel has recently worked with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Man.

Started Reading