J's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Jun 10, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, life, historical-fiction

I don't normally read historical fiction, as it's just not my thing. Especially WWII novels; I never seem to be able to get into them.

However, once I saw the amazing rating for this book, and read some of the rave reviews, I thought I should give it a shot. Boy am I ever glad I did.

Now, whenever anything is handed to me and is toted as a "must-read/do/watch" I tend to approach it with much tougher standards. And I did this with Code Name Verity. I started out with high expectations for both the story and the writing, as reviews kept saying both were amazing/stupendous/excellent. And it DID NOT DISAPPOINT!
As I was reading, I was constantly analyzing my own reactions to the story, waiting for myself to be disappointed, or to find something that I wouldn't like...But it never happened.

Code Name Verity is the story of the friendship between two girls in WWII.

And that's all I can say without giving anything away! hah.

Alright, I can probably say more. I can tell you that both female characters are strong and smart and courageous and not at all annoying (unlike certain simpering female leads in certain books). That their friendship literally leapt off the page, that there was truth (verite.. =]) and believability in their lives and actions. Somehow the author managed to highlight the fear and horror of WWII without losing the beauty each girl finds in their friendship and in life.

It did take me awhile to get into the book; it wasn't until after about the first 100 to 150 pages that I could really sink my teeth in. The beginning had me wondering a little "what is the point of this book??" And since the reviews were so wisely discreet I could only keep reading and hope it was worth the wait. And it was so definitely worth the wait. There IS a point to everything in the novel, as you will find out.

Code Name Verity is a carefully crafted, beautifully written book. A must-read; no wasted words, no wasted pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.