Lucinda's Reviews > The Spook's Apprentice

The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney

Jun 10, 2012

The Spooks series comprising of nine volumes has to be one of the most gripping young adult/ children’s books that I have had the pleasure of reading, being truly fantastic in their design and execution by a genius of a writer who certainly has spent a lot of time on his work and done the research into the specific genre. This series begins with book one; the apprentice which ‘hits the nail right on the head’ in terms of reaching out to its target audience, incorporating everything that this younger reader wants to explore in such a way as to enthrall, delight and mesmerize. It is a character-driven tale that takes you on the most thrilling and somewhat scary journey, which will leave you breathless and with chills sent down your spine. I absolutely love how the author structures his storyline around the main character of Thomas Ward (aka; apprentice) so that we come to see his world and imaginative creation through his eyes, making it utterly realistic and believable. Throughout the Wardstone Chronicles you begin to personally connect with the main character that you are by then able to relate to and empathize with, as the writing just gets better and better with the story becoming more exciting and thrilling as the fast-paced action intensifies. It is Joseph Deleaney’s memorable characters that draw you into this story and which pull you along so as to be unable to put the book down, without leaving the memories fresh and vivid etched within your mind. It is the distinctive settings and environment that create the most atmospheric and realistic background to an intense plot, with one complimenting the other so as to bring It all to life. I love the symbols, the character profiles and maps at the beginning of the book which again helps to bring the author’s creation and world to life and turns the black & white pages to full luminous color, so that you are able to visualize the surroundings with complete clarity. I also love the beautiful illustrations within each book, with everything so well thought out from not just the incredible writing but also the visual and marketing side of the books as a product; with an additional accompanying book to add to your collection and a most well thought out and detailed website. The series as a whole is totally original and something completely unique that many readers will find themselves getting lost within as I myself did, hence once you have read book one you will then want to read and collect them all! Completely brilliant and utterly unique, a spectacular story that deserves to take pride of place on anyone’s bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spook's Apprentice.