Alex at Raiding Bookshelves's Reviews > Wards of Faerie

Jun 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc, 2012-books, reviewed, reviewed-2012
Read from June 10 to 11, 2012

Go to Raiding Bookshelves for more Reviews.

Publication Date: August 21st, 2012
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
ISBN: 0345523474
Age Group: Young Adult/Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
Source: ARC provided by Edelweiss
Lootability: ***

Wards of Faerie is Terry Brooks' 22nd book, chronologically and in publication order, of his esteemed Shannara trilogy. I was lucky enough to score an ARC galley from Edelweiss and so I have completed the first instalment of the latest Shannara series.

The other elfstones. Where, oh, where could those elfstones be? What do they do? Why can't the blue seeking stones find them? The elfstones have been lost for a millenia, maybe more, and almost everyone has given up hope of finding them until Aphenglow comes across the diary of a young girl and suddenly everyone is in the running trying to find the fabled elfstones.

What I Liked: There have been a few leading ladies in the Shannara books but I can always relate to them immediately. They've been strong, independent and adventurous and Aphenglow is living up to her ancestors. It's been nice, in these later series, to get more of the Druid perspective, especially in the post Walker Boh period, they're a lot less pulled together than they seem and Aphenglow has that appealing calm nature with an obvious innocence and naivety that shows she doesn't have everything organised perfectly. It's also nice to see that the Druids aren't always holding back information because they can, it appears that they don't have much more to go on than the people they recruit.
It was good to see the characterisation of the Druids, Aphenglow's relationship with her sister, her mother, her Royal Grandfather, and with Bombax. She was human (elf) and that was a relief.
Show Spoiler
Now on to the Omsfords! As the Druids always say, there must be an Omsford aboard if a mission is to succeed! This time we have Omsford twins Reddin (named after another old favourite) and Railing who have a passion for building and manning airships. They're very fun and even better their old family friend from Leah is a woman! It's about time too.

What I Didn't Like: I'm going to be blunt here. The story ended almost as soon as it started. It's becoming a real problem in the book world where everything has to be split into three parts. Most of the time, I feel like it is unnecessary and it's only being done to speed up publishing dates. Personally, I'd rather wait a few years for a whole book than pick it up in dribs and drabs.

Fortunately, Brooks is WAYYYYYY ahead and is releasing three books this year and we will receive Bloodfire Quest in March 2013 and Witch Wraith in August 2013. I'm already excited.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wards of Faerie.