Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Jun 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: teen-reading

I'm writing this a good 2 weeks (and 4 University essays) after I finished reading it, which makes it impossible to do a proper review. I tend to rely on the written word for much of my memory, and of course I took the book back to the library, so this will truly demonstrate how much of a long-term impression the book made on me.

I liked the voice - the writing style fits the age-group it's about. Well, so it should, though I didn't read any of the blurb about it until I'd finished reading. I was surprised to see that the author is female as the male protagonists seemed authentic; I was also surprised because I didn't think the female characters were well-written - perhaps as a teenage author she was trying too hard to put herself in the shoes of the opposite gender, and trying too hard to view the females through a male mind. Aside from that, I liked the characters and thought their backgrounds well developed.

The plot had me hooked in - I wanted to know what was going to happen next, and I wanted to know how the lad was going to deal with things. Though I have no personal experience that matches it in any way, I could relate to the characters and their motivation, and the descriptions gave me clear pictures of the different "scenes". Overall, I enjoyed this book, though I haven't been inspired to read any more by this author - it's simply not a genre that captivates me. On the other hand, I have no hesitation in recommending it as a good read for anyone interested in a slice of 1960s US 'historical' fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.