Celia's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

bookshelves: 2012-books, audio-book, sci-fi, futuristic

I listened to the audio version read by Wil Wheaton, which I really enjoyed (although it's rather amusing when the narrator of the book is name checked in the text, which does happen once). The geeky persona I associate with Wheaton made him the perfect "voice" for this book.

At first, as the bleak futuristic world of Ready Player One was almost over-explained, I thought I mightn't be able to get into the story - I prefer being dumped into a world and having to figure out stuff for myself. But as the quest that takes up the majority of the book rapidly got underway, I became completely caught up in the story, which continues to be very exposition ridden, but in a sort of unabashed way that made it rather endearing. The whole narrative is filled with the 80s pop culture trivia stuff that forms a large part of the quest - and to be honest, a lot of it went over my head.

Ready Player One is very plot driven, a quest game put into novel form, and a love song to geek pursuits and 80s pop culture. If the idea of any of that bores you, then it's probably not the book for you. I really enjoyed its fast paced rush, and the idealistic way in which honourable play always wins out.

I was a bit disappointed by (view spoiler)

I thought there was a very noticeable lack of women characters - particularly where the way women are representated and portrayed in gaming culture is so often being discussed - (view spoiler)

Ready Player One was a really enjoyable book and I got really into the quest - but it is a certain type of book, and if an exposition-heavy paean to gaming and 80s culture sounds dreadful to you, it's probably not your sort of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.