Lindsay's Reviews > The Secret History of the Pink Carnation

Oct 04, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: z2008, mystery, bookcrossing
Read in October, 2008

Eloise Kelly is a modern day scholar investigating the romantic spies in France in the 1800s. Through a lucky break she obtains access to some diaries which slowly unravel the mystery of the Pink Carnation, one of the most mysterious secret agents of the time.

The story jumps between the present and the challenges in Eloise's life as she is reading the diary, and historical France. One of the issues I had was that while parts about Eloise were written in the first person, when jumping back in time it wasn't done in a diary format but was written in the third person. However, this was probably excusable as it did deal with different characters.

The mystery slowly developed and although I did think I had it pegged at the start I wasn't actually right. That said, the ending did fit well with the rest of the story.

The characters were all strong and interesting and easy to like and the story flowed well, building up intrigue and excitement as it went.

This may be a bit chic-lit for some mystery readers but overall I enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.