Fjóla's Reviews > Little Blue and Little Yellow

Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni

bookshelves: children-s-books, 1001-kids-3plus, mommy-s-favorites, kids-toddlers, kids-boy-books, picture-books

My son (3 1/2) used to ask me these questions about the colors constantly, and almost obsessively. And most of them I could not answer. "What happens when you mix orange and silver? What about brown and purple? What does blue and black make??" When we saw this book at the library, I'm sure he thought: "Finally, I'll get the answers to ALL my questions." In any case, when you mix yellow and blue, you end up with green, and that's the topic of this book. There's an emotional twist to it as well. Little yellow lives with his yellow mother and father and little blue with his blue parents. The two of them however are best friends. So much (and this my son knew for sure) that they mixed with each other and turned into green. Which should have been fine, except their parents didn't recognize them anymore, and pretty much rejected them. Tough! Although we were only talking about little dots and blobs on a page, I could see my son was a little shaken. Luckily, there was a happy ending and everybody ended up hugging everybody, with mixed outcomes ...

My son liked it. And it's pretty smart and even invites for discussion. I'm usually pretty generous with 3 star ratings, but I would have liked to rate this on a little higher but yet not 4 stars, rather somewhere in between.

Update 4/24/13: See One for another take on teaching tolerance with blots of color.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Blue and Little Yellow.

Started Reading