Julie's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Jun 09, 2012

A book I revisit each year.

I ran a women's summer book club in the summer of 2011 and for six weeks we studied this book.

If you're looking for a matter-of-fact book this book will drive you nuts - as it did several in our group. They just wanted a point and wanted it in a forthright manner.

If, however, you want a book that meanders, that stops mid-sentence with a point, only to have the author look at the light casting a iridescent flow in a soap bubble while the author does dishes - you will love this book.

I believe Voskamp's style of writing is intentional because she is trying to prove a point as she writes on page 107, "For all real answers, don't they come in strata, gradations of understanding?"

Life, its purpose, the whys, does not come delivered or summed up easily. Rather, life's layers seem to unveil themselves one by one, day by day.

There are so many stunning words, so many metaphors, such deep abidings with God here, that I scarce know where to begin. But treat yourself to understanding God in a new, fresh way with this marvelous book. You will thank me for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.