Zoë Marriott's Reviews > The Bookshop of Yesterdays

The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson

1975715

it was ok

At about 27% of the way into this book, I was sitting back from it saying 'It can't be that simple, can it? If the big mystery here is that *spoiler* is *spoiler's* *spoiler* I am going to assume our heroine is kind of an idiot and her family are repressed idiots. There must be something deeper going on...'

About 30% later I got so sick of the heroine's unrelenting, faintly whiny disapointment in her own boyfriend, job, family (and probably universe) that I was forced to take a break and go read SORCERY OF THORNS by Margaret Rogerson instead (which I loved). Then I came back, determined to power through this, and my reward? Lo... the secret was in fact the incredibly obvious secret that I had worked out in the first chapter.

I thought this book would be whimsical, life-affirming and full of a love of books and bookshops. Nope. It's 100% standard issue family drama with an entirely average heroine (who doesn't even read fiction! Gah!) and the intriguing mystery I was promised could literally have been solved in five minutes if anyone in the heroine's family had decided to pull up their big girl pants.

The fact that the heroine only managed to leave her incredibly boring and unlikeable boyfriend, who she barely managed to find two words for throughout the entire novel, because she found another slightly less boring boyfriend was also a big annoyance to me.

The characters were all flat, conveyed to us without a hint of colour by the heroine's pathologically indifferent, apathetic 'telling'. Nothing felt alive. And if I had to read that the heroine was expecting for someone to ask her something but instead they asked her something else/said something else/ did something else ONE MORE TIME I might have thrown my e-reader across the room. This happened at least once a chapter and often once a scene. There are other ways to convey that someone's actions are unexpected than phrasing it this way! This just makes it seem like your heroine is a narcissist who has no idea what is going through anyone else's head, ever.

In case it's not obvious, I really didn't enjoy this. Oh, well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookshop of Yesterdays.

July 21, 2020 – Started Reading
July 21, 2020 – Shelved
July 21, 2020 –
page 269
73.1% "About 27% of the way in, and the answer to the mystery of the falling out, the dead wife etc. has been pretty obvious to me for at least half the time I've been reading. If the author throws me a curveball, I will be impressed and hooked. If it plays out the way I think it will, honestly, I'll have to just assume that Miranda and her whole family are dumber than bricks."
July 30, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Gordon I am having a similar experience with Love Lettering. The concept sounded so cool and promised lots of calligraphy neepery with a bit of magic thrown in. But I’ve bogged down in the heroine’s pov which is SO self-doubting and SO insecure that I don’t want to spend time with her, especially avoiding the love interest’s main question by wandering around NY looking at street signs before she can answer. (I may have this wrong, my eyes had been sliding off the page for a while).

Zoë Marriott There's a special place in book purgatory for authors who squander a supercool premise with bad execution!