Marisa's Reviews > Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones

Check, Please!, Book 2 by Ngozi Ukazu

3.5/5

Really liked it, but think it really should’ve been split into 2 volumes — a full volume of junior year and a full volume for senior year. There were parts of the story that felt rushed, and there were missed opportunities. Junior year particularly felt a little underdeveloped. I think Bitty’s very real concern about his father not accepting him and the homophobia in hockey was glossed over a little quickly, as was the Whiskey subplot. If it’s going to be raised as a plot point, it should be given the time it needs, not brought up and solved within the same episode.

We never really saw Ransom and Holster as team captains despite that being a really heartwarming moment in book 1 when they both won the role. We only got glimpses of it. The extra comics at the back, especially Ransom and Holster’s educational comic about hockey-splaining, continues to be wonderful.

I think the tweets felt more engaging this time, too. Possibly because it felt like they were compensating for things we didn’t see covered with as much detail in the main book, so I felt like I needed to read them in a way that I didn’t necessarily feel with the first volume.

There was this new technique used in this volume in which we got flashbacks to the past. Overall I enjoyed how the timey-wimey slipperiness was utilized in the episode(s) in which Bitty and Jack went public with their relationship. I think it also reflected how extremely drunk the characters were in that chapter. That said, I think Ukazu sometimes relied a little too heavily on flashbacks to add parallels and resonance to an episode. A more spare and targeted use would’ve made the volume a little tighter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Check, Please!, Book 2.

July 21, 2020 – Started Reading
July 21, 2020 – Shelved
July 21, 2020 –
page 89
26.49% "I love the care that gets put into the other characters on the teams. They’ve all got so much heart and so much story even if they’re not the main-main characters. It feels well-balanced between the Bitty and Jack and the rest of the team, and the way the stories loop in and out of each other works well."
July 21, 2020 –
page 112
33.33% "There are two characters who I would’ve liked to have seen a little more of in junior year, but I’m holding out hope we see more of their leadership journeys in the extras at the end."
July 26, 2020 – Finished Reading