Siv's Reviews > How the Bible Actually Works: In Which I Explain How An Ancient, Ambiguous, and Diverse Book Leads Us to Wisdom Rather Than Answers—and Why That's Great News

How the Bible Actually Works by Peter Enns

bookshelves: non-fiction-christian

"...the Bible holds out for us an invitation to join an ancient, well-traveled and sacred quest to know God, the world we live in, and our place in it" (p10).

This book busts to pieces that old cliche: "The Bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it." Because we have to ask: What does the Bible actually say? It said something to an ancient people, but we are not them. So what does it say to us, today, wherever we are? Not just the meaning of the written words on the page, but the intended wisdom behind those words read with the Holy Spirit who is wisdom.

Honestly, this concept shouldn't be shocking to anyone who has ever heard a sermon preached, because pastors and scholars have long been interpreting what the Bible means for us today. Or to anyone who has noticed a contradiction. Or to anyone who has noticed differences between the stories about Jesus in the four gospels. Enns points to examples within the Bible itself where the biblical writers were already interpreting the Bible as they had it, for example, how did God's people worship God during the exile when they couldn't worship in the Temple? Another example: Paul reinterpreting the Law post-resurrection.

This isn't bad news but good news, because it means the Bible isn't static but a living book of wisdom. It makes the Bible even more exciting. And Enns brings his great sense of humor to his writing - a breath of fresh air in biblical scholarship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Bible Actually Works.

Started Reading