Stewart's Reviews > Railsea

Railsea by China Miéville

Jun 09, 2012

liked it

I tried extremely hard to fall in love with this book because, after all, it's China Mieville, whom I love desperately. This was, of course, his attempt at an "all ages" book so I can definitely see that it was slightly dumbed down in order to appeal to younger crowds. That doesn't mean that the writing was juvenile by any means. Even writing at a younger level, Mieville can use very complex words and phrases.

Although I didn't particularly care for this book, there is no argument that Mieville's imagination isn't alive and well. He is the most creative author I have ever come across and that is true of this book as well. What I didn't care for was the lack of complexity in the characters and the actions they took. The way I see it, is it was a child's story that was actually written well. I never got attached to the story although the ideas were compelling - trains, giant rodents, pirates and angels.

Apparently across the internet the vast majority of readers disagree with me on the book but I would skip it if I were you. Read The City & The City or Embassytown. In fact, I'm going to do that again just so I can remind myself why I keep reading China Mieville.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Railsea.

June 9, 2012 – Shelved